In this production created for the Opera Ballet in 1984, Rudolf Nureyev opted for powerful dramatization. Splendour and violence, truculence and beauty mingle, rekindling the passion of Shakespeare’s drama.
Scrupulously adhering to Prokofiev’s score, itself very close to the play, the choreographer produced a version of Romeo and Juliet in which “the young boy becomes a man” opposite a passionate Juliet who, barely out of childhood, also tragically enters womanhood. Their love cannot be openly declared, as their respective families, the Montagues and the Capulets, are locked into an ancestral feud...
Inspired by the Italian Renaissance, the sumptuous sets and costumes by Ezio Frigerio and Mauro Pagano transport us to a painstakingly recreated Verona.
The Étoiles, the Premiers Danseurs and the Paris Opera Corps de Ballet
The Paris Opera Orchestra
A coproduction Opéra national de Paris and La Belle Télé
With the participation of France Télévisions, the support of the ORANGE Foundation, patron of the Paris Opera's audiovisual broadcasts and Chanel, patron of the Paris Opera Ballet, as well as the Centre National du Cinéma et de l'image animée
The Paris Opera thanks the donors of the Romeo and Juliet recording for their generous support.
Director: Nathan Benisty
© Opéra national de Paris – La Belle Télé – 2021
Picture: © Agathe Poupeney / OnP
- Romeo: A son of the House of Montague. Initially in love with Rosaline, he becomes enamoured with Juliet at the Capulets’ ball
- Juliet: A daughter of the House of Capulet. She is betrothed to Paris but in love with Romeo
- Tybalt: Juliet’s cousin. He is killed by Romeo to avenge the death of his friend Mercutio
- Mercutio: A friend of Romeo. He is killed by Tybalt
- Benvolio: A friend and cousin of Romeo
- Rosaline: Romeo’s first love, albeit unrequited
- Paris: A young Lord of Verona, in love with Juliet. He dies by Romeo’s hand in Juliet’s tomb
- Lord Capulet: The head of the House of Capulet
- Lady Capulet: The wife of Lord Capulet
- The Nursemaid: Juliet’s confidante
- Friar Laurence: A monk and Romeo’s confessor. He secretly marries the two lovers